Essential oil use is on the rise, with more and more people discovering the benefits of these powerful natural products. Peppermint essential oil is one of the most popular types, simply because it can be used for so many different purposes. Here are some of the primary ways that you can use this versatile essential oil around your home:
1. Repel insects. Insects have a nasty way of finding their way into all of the wrong places. The last thing that you want is for ants, spiders, or cockroaches to invade your home. Fortunately, a few drops of peppermint oil can go a long way toward creating a protective barrier that helps keep unwanted insects at bay. By putting several drops of peppermint oil in the water when you clean your floors and spritzing diluted oil around your windows and doors, you can keep bugs from coming inside.
2. Relieve muscle pain. When you apply diluted peppermint oil to your skin, it can help relieve aches and pains. For the greatest effect, try massaging any sore muscles using a combination of peppermint oil and a carrier oil such as olive oil or almond oil. You should feel almost instant relief.
3. Freshen your breath. There is a reason that chewing gum and toothpaste are peppermint flavored. It is because peppermint does such a fantastic job of freshening breath. You can buy tiny chewable capsules that contain peppermint oil that are designed specifically for the purpose of freshening your breath. Alternatively, you can put a drop in your mouth and take a swig of water to dilute it.
4. Relieve congestion. Few things in life are as miserable as having a stuffy nose or chest congestion. Fortunately, you can use peppermint oil to help eliminate this problem. Simply put a few drops in a diffuser or a humidifier. As you breathe in the oil, it will help loosen up congestion, freeing up your airways so that you can breathe a little bit better.
5. Treat dandruff. If you have a dandruff problem, your first inclination may be to purchase a shampoo that is specifically formulated to treat dandruff. Before you do, however, you may want to try a simple home remedy instead. All that you have to do is add a few drops of peppermint oil to your regular shampoo. Wash your hair like usual, allowing the shampoo to sit on your hair for a few minutes before you rinse it away. The peppermint oil’s natural antiseptic properties can help eliminate signs of dandruff.
If you are going to buy just one essential oil for your home, peppermint essential oil is a great choice. This powerful oil that has ben talked about on the Together Forever Changing Health site and can be used in countless different ways throughout your home. From helping to repel insects to relieving congestion, there are many practical uses for this oil.
When buying a bottle of the oil, make sure that it is as pure as possible. In general, you should avoid cheaper essential oils, opting instead for oils that are manufactured by well-known brands.